Where Will Your Karma Take You?
Contributors to Splunkbase Apps and Answers are invaluable to our community. We think it's worth tossing a little recognition towards the ones who go above and beyond to keep content fresh and share the ways they've solved problems within their organizations. We recognized a few folks at .conf2012 and this year, we thought we'd expand the awards to recognize more folks. My friends, I give you: "Where Will Your Karma Take You Awards."
Starting Thursday, November 1, 2012 at 12:00:00 am PST, we'll track karma points and award 1 free .conf2013 pass to folks earning the most points in each of the following categories:
- Most up voted question
- Most points accumulated from answering questions
- Most downloaded app from Splunkbase Apps
- Most points overall
Previously achieved karma points do not count. This is the opportunity for everyone to have an opportunity to contribute—whether you've just downloaded Splunk, or have been contributing for years. (Let's face it—we know it will be hard to catch up with folks on the top of the scoreboard like Gerald and Nick so here's your chance!) Here's how we recognize points in the Splunkbase community:
- Gain 10 Points for each up vote by another user on an answer, question, or app review you post, up to 200 points/day
- Lose 2 Points for each down vote by another user on an answer, question, or app review you posted
- Lose 1 Point if you down vote someone's question, answer, app posting, or app review
- Gain 20 Points if one of your answers is accepted by the asker
- Gain 10 Points if you accept an answer someone posted to your question
- Gain 100 Points if you upload a new app
- Gain 5 Points if someone up votes your app (not a review of it, but up votes the app itself)
- Lose 5 Points if someone down votes your app
Other legal details are below. Note each winner will receive a .conf2013 pass only. This does not include travel expenses or Splunk University pre-conference sessions. The prize is not redeemable for cash, if the winner can not attend the conference, the runner up will be awarded the pass. If you have other questions, feel free to reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Get going on your Karma points—and we'll hope to see you next September 30-October 3, 2013!
NO PURCHASE OR PAYMENT IS NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. A PURCHASE WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING. THIS CONTEST IS VOID WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW. THIS CONTEST IS ONLY OPEN ONLY TO LEGAL RESIDENTS OF ANY ONE (1) OF THE FIFTY (50) UNITED STATES OR THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA, THE UNITED KINGDOM, ITALY, AUSTRALIA, CANADA (EXCLUDING QUEBEC), GERMANY, THE NETHERLANDS, SWEDEN OR SWITZERLAND WHO ARE AT LEAST 18 AND THE AGE OF MAJORITY IN THEIR JURISDICTION OF PRIMARY RESIDENCE. See Section 3 of these Official Rules for full eligibility details. NO ONE OUTSIDE OF THESE COUNTRIES ARE ELIGIBLE TO PARTICIPATE IN THIS CONTEST.
EACH WINNER WILL BE REQUIRED TO PARTICIPATE IN THE PRIZE FULFILLMENT PROCESS AND SIGN DOCUMENTATION, SUCH AS A RELEASE (EXCEPT WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW), WITHIN SEVEN (7) DAYS OF THE SPONSOR'S NOTICE (OR LONGER AS MAY BE REQUIRED BY APPLICABLE LAW), AS MORE FULLY DETAILED BELOW.
YOU AGREE TO THESE OFFICIAL RULES, WHICH ARE A CONTRACT, SO READ THEM CAREFULLY BEFORE ENTERING. THIS CONTRACT INCLUDES PROVISIONS REQUIRING YOU TO COMPENSATE THE SPONSOR (DEFINED BELOW) AND A LIMITATION OF YOUR RIGHTS AND REMEDIES.
IF YOU ARE IN THE EUROPEAN UNION, YOU AGREE TO HAVE YOUR PERSONAL DATA TRANSFERRED OUTSIDE THE EUROPEAN UNION IN CONNECTION WITH THIS CONTEST, AND THAT SUCH DATA WILL BE TRANSFERRED TO THE UNITED STATES?
Winners will be mentioned by name, username, country and company on the Splunkbase/Splunk Answers website, in a blog on blogs.splunk.com and in select .conf2013: The 4th Annual Splunk Worldwide Users' Conference materials.
1. OVERVIEW. The Where Will Your Karma Take You Contest ("Contest") consists of four (4) competitions (each, a "Competition" and together, the "Competitions") and is sponsored by Splunk Inc. ("Sponsor"). All of the Competitions are judged based on the number of Karma Points ("Points") eligible participants earn for a Competition during the applicable Competition period. Points are earned by taking qualifying actions within Splunk, Inc.'s ("Sponsor") community called Splunkbase as more fully detailed below in Section 2. Points earned prior to the start of a Competition do not count in this Contest. See section 3 below for eligibility requirements.
The Contest begins at 12:00:01 a.m. Pacific Time ("PT") (07:00:01 a.m. Greenwich Mean Time ("GMT") on November 1, 2012 and ends at 11:59:59 p.m. PT on January 31, 2013 (06:59:59 a.m. on February 1, 2013 BST) (the "Contest Period").
Once you are a member of Splunkbase, participate in the Contest by taking qualifying actions within Splunkbase during the Contest Period. Points are accrued or lost in this Contest as follows:
- Gain 10 Points for each up vote by another user on an answer, question, or app review you post, up to 200 points/day.
- Lose 2 Points for each down vote by another user on an answer, question, or app review you posted.
- Lose 1 Point if you down vote someone's question, answer, app posting, or app review.
- Gain 20 Points if one of your answers is accepted by the asker.
- Gain 10 Points if you accept an answer someone posted to your question.
- Gain 100 Points if you upload a new app.
- Gain 5 Points if someone up votes your app (not a review of it, but the app itself).
- Lose 5 Points if someone down votes your app.
Questions, answers, votes, posts and ratings all must comply with Sponsor's frequently asked questions document at: http://splunk-base.splunk.com/faq/ or they will not earn Points.
All participants are prohibited from conducting their own publicity campaign or promotions in connection with this Contest. Participants are also prohibited from obtaining votes or Points by any fraudulent or inappropriate means, including, without limitation, offering prizes or other inducements to other members or coordinate with another member in any way to gain Points or cause another user to lose Points, as determined by the Sponsor in its sole discretion. Use of these techniques, or of any script, macro, or other automated or artificial system to vote or obtain Points, or with the intent or effect of impairing the integrity of the Points process, is prohibited and all such Points will, upon discovery by the Sponsor, in Sponsor's sole discretion, be deemed null and void and may lead to the disqualification of the applicable participant.
3. ELIGIBILITY: The Contest is open only to legal residents of any one (1) of the fifty (50) United States or the District of Columbia, the United Kingdom, Italy, Australia, Canada (excluding Quebec), Germany, the Netherlands, Sweden or Switzerland who are at least 18 and the age of majority in their jurisdiction of primary residence. Employees and agents of the Sponsor, its parent, division, affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising agencies or promotional partners associated with this Contest, and relatives of and those living in the same household as such individuals are not eligible to enter or win a prize. For the purpose of this Contest, relatives are defined as spouse, partner, parent, legal guardian, in-law, grandparent, sibling, children and grandchildren. This Contest is void where prohibited by law.
4. WINNER SELECTION & NOTIFICATION: There will be four (4) winners in this Contest - one (1) from each Competition. The one (1) person with the most Points in a Competition at the end of the Competition will be the winner of that Competition, subject to Sponsor's tie breaking procedures (if applicable) and verification procedures. In the event of a tie for any Competition, the tie will be broken by comparing the tied participants' Points earned across all categories and the Participant with the higher Point total in that category will be deemed the potential winner for that Competition. If there is still a tie for that Competition, the tie will be broken by comparing the tied participants' Points earned across all categories and the Participant with the higher Point total in that category will be deemed the potential winner for that Competition. There is a limit of one (1) prize per Splunkbase member. If a Splunkbase member has the most Points in more than one (1) Competition, the Splunkbase member who earned the next highest Points in the other Competition(s) will be deemed a winner. Sponsor will attempt to notify each potential winner on or about February 12, 2013 that he or she may have won a prize in this Contest by using the contact information in his or her Splunkbase account. Winner may be required to complete, sign, have notarized (if applicable) and return, without alteration and in the form presented by Sponsor, an affidavit of eligibility and liability/publicity release (unless prohibited by law) and tax forms (if applicable) by February 12, 2013 or prize may be forfeited. In the event of noncompliance with these requirements, the prize may be forfeited and awarded to an alternate winner (time permitting and in Sponsor's sole discretion). The affidavit of eligibility and liability/publicity release are subject to verification by Sponsor. If any prize notification or Contest-related communication is rejected, faulty or returned as undeliverable, if the winner cannot attend or participate in any portion of the prize, or if the potential winner cannot be reached after a reasonable attempt has been made by Sponsor or does not respond according to the notification's or Sponsor's instructions (as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion), that winner or potential winner may be disqualified and an alternate winner may be contacted. Sponsor will not be obligated to pursue more than three (3) alternate winners for any reason, in which case some prizes may go unawarded. Sponsor reserves the right to modify the notification procedures in connection with the selection of any alternate potential winner, if any.
5. PRIZES: Each winner (one (1) per Competition for a total of four (4) winners) will receive one (1) free pass to Splunk's .conf 2013 Conference (which takes place from September 30, 2013 to October 3, 2013, plus USD $1,000 to help defray taxes applicable to receipt of the prize. Winners who live in jurisdictions where such taxes are not applicable will not receive that portion of the prize. Approximate retail value ("ARV") of the conference prize is USD $2495 (including the possible USD $1000 towards applicable taxes). In addition, the most downloaded app Competition winner will also receive a demo kiosk on which to demo their app for attendees of the conference with an ARV of USD $3995 plus an additional USD $1000 to help defray taxes applicable to receipt of the demo kiosk prize. Travel and accommodations are not included. Splunk University fees are not included. If a winner has already registered and paid for the conference or demo kiosk (as applicable), Splunk will reimburse them for the fee they paid. If applicable, Sponsor will reimburse only the conference fee or demo kiosk fee paid (as applicable), not any Splunk University or travel-related fees. ARV of all prizes: USD $12,480 (which is inclusive of the money possibly provided to help defray taxes). Sponsor makes no representation or warranty that the amount of money provided to help defray taxes will cover all such taxes, all of which is the responsibility of the winners.
Participants waive the right to assert as a cost of winning any prize, any and all costs of verification and redemption or travel to claim the prize and any liability and publicity which might arise from claiming or seeking to claim said prize. All prize details not specified in these Official Rules will be determined in Sponsor's sole discretion. If legitimately claimed, the prize will be awarded. All taxes (if applicable in your jurisdiction of primary residence) and other expenses not specified in these Official Rules as being provided as part of the prize are the sole responsibility of the winner. Sponsor will not replace any lost, mutilated or stolen prize or any prize that is undeliverable or does not reach the winner because of an incorrect or changed address or other contact information. No transfers, prize substitutions or cash redemptions will be made, except at Sponsor's sole discretion. Sponsor reserves the right to substitute the stated prize or portion thereof with another prize or portion thereof of equal or greater value for any reason, including, without limitation, prize unavailability. No more than the stated prize will be awarded. Winner is strictly prohibited from selling, auctioning, trading or otherwise transferring any part of the prize.
6. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY. NOTHING IN THESE OFFICIAL RULES LIMITS, EXCLUDES OR MODIFIES OR PURPORTS TO LIMIT, EXCLUDE OR MODIFY ANY STATUTORY CONSUMER GUARANTEES OR ANY IMPLIED CONDITION OR WARRANTY THE EXCLUSION OF WHICH FROM THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS WOULD CONTRAVENE ANY STATUTE OR CAUSE ANY PART OF THESE OFFICIAL RULES TO BE VOID ("NON-EXCLUDABLE GUARANTEES"). SUBJECT TO THE LIMITATIONS IN THE PRECEDING SENTENCE, THE SPONSOR EXCLUDES FROM THESE OFFICIAL RULES ALL CONDITIONS, WARRANTIES AND TERMS IMPLIED BY STATUTE, GENERAL LAW OR CUSTOM. EXCEPT FOR LIABILITY IN RELATION TO A NON EXCLUDABLE GUARANTEE. SUBJECT TO ANY NON-EXCLUDABLE GUARANTEES, EACH PARTICIPANT AGREES TO RELEASE, HOLD HARMLESS AND INDEMNIFY THE SPONSOR, ITS PARENT, DIVISIONS, SUBSIDIARIES, AFFILIATES, ADVERTISING, PROMOTION AND PUBLIC RELATIONS AGENCIES, AND THE RESPECTIVE OFFICERS, DIRECTORS, MEMBERS, MANAGERS, EMPLOYEES, REPRESENTATIVES AND AGENTS OF EACH (COLLECTIVELY "CONTEST ENTITIES") FOR ANY LIABILITY WHATSOEVER FOR INJURIES OR DAMAGES OF ANY KIND SUSTAINED IN CONNECTION WITH THE USE, ACCEPTANCE, POSSESSION, MISUSE OR AWARDING OF THE PRIZE, WHILE PREPARING FOR, PARTICIPATING IN AND/OR TRAVELING TO OR FROM ANY PRIZE- OR CONTEST-RELATED ACTIVITY, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, ANY INJURY, DAMAGE, DEATH, LOSS, OR ACCIDENT TO PERSON OR PROPERTY (HOWEVER, FOR UK, SWISS AND GERMAN RESIDENTS ONLY, THIS RELEASE, HOLD HARMLESS AND INDEMNIFICATION COMMITMENT DOES NOT APPLY TO CASES OF BODILY INJURY OR LOSS OF LIFE OR TO THE EXTENT THAT ANY DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY IS CAUSED BY THE NEGLIGENCE OF SPONSOR OR OTHER THIRD PARTY, WHERE LIABILITY TO THE INJURED PARTY CANNOT BE EXCLUDED BY LAW). THE WINNER AGREES THAT THE PRIZE IS PROVIDED AS-IS WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY, REPRESENTATION OR GUARANTEE, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, IN FACT OR IN LAW, WHETHER NOW KNOWN OR HEREINAFTER ENACTED, RELATIVE TO THE USE OR ENJOYMENT OF THE PRIZE, BEYOND ANY NON-EXCLUDABLE GUARANTEES . FURTHER, THE CONTEST ENTITIES ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE IN ANY WAY FOR ANY ADDITIONAL EXPENSES, OMISSIONS, DELAYS, OR RE-ROUTING RESULTING FROM ANY ACTS OF ANY GOVERNMENT OR AUTHORITY.
7. ADDITIONAL DISCLAIMERS: To the extent permitted by the mandatory provisions of the applicable law, Contest Entities are not responsible and/or liable for any of the following, whether caused by a Contest Entity, the participant or by human error (however, for UK residents only, except to the extent that any of the following occur for reasons within Sponsor's reasonable control, where liability to the injured party cannot be excluded by law): Points earned by illegitimate means (such as, without limitation, by an automated computer program) or Points earned in excess of any stated limits; any lost, late, incomplete, illegible, mutilated, or misdirected e-mail, mail, or Contest-related correspondence or materials; any error, omission, interruption, defect, or delay in transmission or communication; viruses or technical or mechanical malfunctions; interrupted or unavailable cable or satellite systems; errors, typos or misprints in these Official Rules, in any Contest-related advertisements or other materials; failures of electronic equipment, computer hardware or software; lost or unavailable network connections, or failed, incorrect, incomplete, inaccurate, garbled or delayed electronic communications or entry information; inaccurate capture or calculation of votes or Points. Contest Entities are not responsible for electronic communications that are undeliverable as a result of any form of active or passive filtering of any kind, or insufficient space in participant's e-mail account to receive e-mail messages. Contest Entities are not responsible, and may disqualify a participant, if his or her e-mail address, telephone, or other contact information does not work or is changed without participant giving prior written notice to Sponsor. Contest Entities are not responsible for any changes or unavailability of the Web Site that may interfere with the Contest or ability of participant to timely participate, receive notices or communicate with Sponsor, in which case Sponsor, in its sole discretion, may terminate or modify the Contest. Without limiting any other provision in these Official Rules, Contest Entities are not responsible or liable to any participant or winner or any person claiming through such participant or winner for failure to supply the prize or any part thereof in the event that any of the Contest activities or the Contest Entities' operations or activities are affected, as determined by the Sponsor in its sole discretion, including, without limitation, by reason of any acts of God, any action, regulation, order or request by any governmental or quasi-governmental entity (whether or not the action, regulations, order or request proves to be invalid), equipment failure, threatened terrorist acts, terrorist acts, air raid, blackout, act of public enemy, earthquake, war (declared or undeclared), fire, flood, epidemic, explosion, unusually severe weather, hurricane, embargo, labor dispute or strike (whether legal or illegal) labor or material shortage, transportation interruption of any kind, work slow-down, civil disturbance, insurrection, riot, or any law, rule, regulation, order or other action adopted or taken by any governmental, federal, state, provincial or local government authority, or any other cause, whether or not specifically mentioned above.
8. GENERAL RULES: By entering the Contest (except where prohibited by law), each participant grants the Contest Entities the irrevocable, sublicensable, free of charge, absolute right and permission to use, publish, post or display his or her name, photograph, likeness, voice, prize information, biographical information, any quotes attributable to him or her and any other indicia of persona (regardless of whether altered, changed, modified, edited, used alone, or used with other material in the Contest Entities' sole discretion) for advertising, trade, promotional and publicity purposes without further obligation or compensation of any kind to him or her, anywhere, in any medium now known or hereafter discovered or devised (including, without limitation, on the Internet), world-wide, without any limitation of time and without notice, review or approval and each participant releases all Contest Entities from any and all liability related to such authorized uses.. Nothing contained in these Official Rules obligates the Sponsor to make use of any of the rights granted herein and winner waives any right to inspect or approve any such use.
The Sponsor's decisions will be final in all matters relating this Contest, including interpretation of these Official Rules, calculation of Points and awarding of the prizes. All participants, as a condition of entry, agree to be bound by these Official Rules and the decisions of the Sponsor. Failure to comply with these Official Rules may result in disqualification from this Contest. Participants further agree to not damage or cause interruption of the Contest and/or prevent others from using the Contest. The Sponsor reserves the right to restrict or void Points or participation from any IP address if any suspicious entry and/or participation are detected. The Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to void Points of any participants who the Sponsor believes have attempted to tamper with or impair the administration, security, fairness or proper play of this Contest. The Sponsor's failure to or decision not to enforce any provision in these Official Rules will not constitute a waiver of that or any other provision. In the event there is an alleged or actual ambiguity, discrepancy or inconsistency between disclosures or other statements contained in any Contest-related materials and/or these Official Rules (including any alleged discrepancy or inconsistency in these Official Rules), it will be resolved in the Sponsor's sole discretion. Entrants waive any right to claim ambiguity in the Contest or these Official Rules. If the Sponsor determines at any time in its sole discretion that a winner or potential winner is disqualified, ineligible, in violation of these Official Rules, or engaging in behavior that the Sponsor deems obnoxious, inappropriate, threatening, illegal or that is intended to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other person, the Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify that winner or potential winner, even if the disqualified winner or potential winner may have been notified or displayed or announced anywhere. The invalidity or unenforceability of any provision of these Official Rules will not affect the validity or enforceability of any other provision. In the event that any provision is determined to be invalid or otherwise unenforceable or illegal, these Official Rules will otherwise remain in effect and will be construed in accordance with their terms as if the invalid or illegal provision were not contained herein. If the Contest is not capable of running as planned for any reason, the Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to cancel, modify or suspend the Contest and award the prizes based on Points accrued (if any) prior to cancellation, modification, or suspension or as otherwise deemed fair and appropriate by Sponsor. If any person supplies false information, obtains Points by fraudulent means or is otherwise determined to be in violation of these Official Rules in an attempt to obtain any prize, Sponsor may disqualify that person and seek damages from him or her and that person may be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. In the event of a dispute concerning who participated, the participant will be declared to be the person who is the registered account holder of the e-mail address for the winning Splunkbase account, but only if that person meets all other eligibility criteria. A registered account holder is defined as the natural person who is assigned to an e-mail address by an Internet access provider, online service provider, or other organization (e.g. business, educational institution, etc.) that is responsible for assigning e-mail addresses for the domain associated with the submitted e-mail address. Potential winner may be required to provide Sponsor with proof that he/she is the registered account holder of the e-mail address associated with the potentially winning entry. If a dispute cannot be resolved to Sponsor's satisfaction, the entry will be deemed ineligible. CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT TO DAMAGE ANY ONLINE SERVICE OR WEB SITE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATIONS OF THE CONTEST VIOLATES CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS. IF SUCH AN ATTEMPT IS MADE, SPONSOR MAY DISQUALIFY ANY PARTICIPANT MAKING SUCH ATTEMPT AND MAY SEEK DAMAGES TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.
10. DISPUTES/GOVERNING LAW. Except where prohibited, as a condition of participating in this Contest, each participant agrees that any and all disputes that cannot be resolved between the participant and any Contest Entity, claims and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Contest, or the prize awarded, or the determination of the winner must be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action. Further, in any such dispute, under no circumstances will an participant be permitted or entitled to obtain awards for, and hereby waives all rights to claim punitive, incidental or consequential damages, or any other damages, including attorneys' fees, other than participant's actual out-pocket expenses (if any), not to exceed ten dollars ($10 USD), and participant further waives all rights to have damages multiplied or increased.
This Contest and any dispute arising under or related thereto (whether for breach of contract, tortious conduct or otherwise) will be governed by the internal laws of the State of California, without giving effect to its conflicts of law or choice of law principles or rules that would cause the application of any other state's/province's/federal laws. Any legal actions, suits or proceedings related to this Contest (whether for breach of contract, tortious conduct or otherwise) will be brought exclusively in the state or federal courts located in San Francisco County, San Francisco, California, and each participant accepts and submits to the personal jurisdiction of those courts with respect to any legal actions, suits or proceedings arising out of or related to this Contest.
11. WINNER'S LIST/OFFICIAL RULES. To find out who won, send a legal-size, self-addressed, stamped envelope to: The Where Will Your Karma Take You Contest Winners, c/o Splunk Marketing, 250 Brannan Street, San Francisco, CA 94115 or go to blogs.splunk.com/erin. Requests must be received no later than three (3) months following the end of the Contest Period. For a copy of these Official Rules, print out these pages or send a legal-size (DL or A5 for UK residents), self-addressed, stamped envelope to: The Where Will Your Karma Take You Contest Official Rules, c/o Splunk Marketing, 250 Brannan Street, San Francisco, CA 94115 prior to the end of the Contest Period. Only one (1) request of either type per outer envelope, mailed separately, will be fulfilled. Vermont residents may omit return postage with Official Rules requests. Canadian residents may omit return postage with Winners List and Official Rules requests.
12. THE SPONSOR OF THIS CONTEST IS: Splunk Inc. 250 Brannan Street, San Francisco, CA 94107. In case of complaints or disputes send an e-mail to email@example.com and you will receive an answer or a decision within 14 business days.
13. For residents of the Netherlands only, the Sponsor states that it acts in accordance with the Code of Conduct for Promotional Games of Chance 2006.
*******END OF OFFICIAL RULES*******