The Where Will Your Karma Take You Contest Official Rules
NO PURCHASE OR PAYMENT IS NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. A PURCHASE WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING. THIS CONTEST IS VOID WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW. THIS CONTEST IS ONLY OPEN TO LEGAL RESIDENTS OF ANY ONE (1) OF THE FIFTY (50) UNITED STATES OR THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA (BUT NOT PUERTO RICO OR ANY OTHER U.S. TERRITORY, POSSESSION, OR OVERSEAS MILITARY INSTALLATION), AUSTRIA, AUSTRALIA, CANADA (EXCLUDING QUEBEC), FINLAND, FRANCE, GERMANY, INDIA, IRELAND, ISRAEL, ITALY, JAPAN, KOREA, THE NETHERLANDS, NEW ZEALAND, NORWAY, PHILIPPINES, RUSSIA, SINGAPORE, SOUTH AFRICA, SWEDEN, SWITZERLAND, TAIWAN, THAILAND, OR THE UNITED KINGDOM (ALSO REFERRED TO IN THESE OFFICIAL RULES AS THE “TERRITORIES”) WHO ARE AT LEAST 18 AND THE AGE OF MAJORITY IN THEIR JURISDICTION OF PRIMARY RESIDENCE. SEE SECTION 3 OF THESE OFFICIAL RULES FOR FULL ELIGIBILITY DETAILS. NO ONE OUTSIDE OF THESE COUNTRIES IS ELIGIBLE TO PARTICIPATE IN THIS CONTEST.
EACH WINNER WILL BE REQUIRED TO PARTICIPATE IN THE PRIZE FULFILLMENT PROCESS AND SIGN DOCUMENTATION, SUCH AS A RELEASE (EXCEPT WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW), WITHIN SEVEN (7) DAYS OF THE SPONSOR'S NOTICE (OR LONGER AS MAY BE REQUIRED BY APPLICABLE LAW), AS MORE FULLY DETAILED BELOW.
YOU AGREE TO THESE OFFICIAL RULES, WHICH ARE A CONTRACT, SO READ THEM CAREFULLY BEFORE ENTERING. THIS CONTRACT INCLUDES PROVISIONS REQUIRING YOU TO COMPENSATE THE SPONSOR (DEFINED BELOW) AND A LIMITATION OF YOUR RIGHTS AND REMEDIES.
IF YOU ENTER THE CONTEST, YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION MAY BE STORED AND PROCESSED IN ANY COUNTRY WHERE WE HAVE FACILITIES OR IN WHICH WE ENGAGE SERVICE PROVIDERS, AND BY USING OUR WEBSITE(S), PRODUCT(S), AND/OR SERVICE(S), YOU CONSENT TO THE TRANSFER OF INFORMATION TO COUNTRIES OUTSIDE OF YOUR COUNTRY OF RESIDENCE, INCLUDING THE UNITED STATES, WHICH MAY HAVE DIFFERENT DATA PROTECTION RULES THAN IN YOUR COUNTRY.
Winners may be mentioned by name, username, country and company on the Splunk Answers website, in a blog on www.splunk.com/blog and in select .conf20: The 11th Annual Splunk Worldwide Users' Conference materials.
1. OVERVIEW. The Where Will Your Karma Take You Contest ("Contest") is sponsored by Splunk Inc. ("Sponsor") and is comprised of a single competition ("Competition") every month beginning on August 1, 2019 and ending on July 31, 2020 (the“Contest Period”). The winner of each Competition is selected based on the number of Karma Points ("Points") eligible participants earn during the applicable Competition Period (defined below). Points are earned by taking qualifying actions within Splunk Inc.'s community website called “Splunk Answers”, as more fully detailed below in Section 2. Points earned prior to the start of a Competition Period do not count in this Contest or for any other Competition Period. See section 3 below for eligibility requirements.
The “Competition Period” begins at 12:00:01 a.m. Pacific Time ("PT") (07:00:01 a.m. Greenwich Mean Time ("GMT")) on the first day of each month and ends at 11:59:59 p.m. PT (06:59:59 a.m. GMT) on the last day of each month during the Contest Period.
Once you are a member of the Splunk Community, you may participate in the Contest by: (a) logging in at answers.splunk.com, agreeing to these official rules and taking qualifying actions within Splunk Answers during a Competition Period or (b) another user taking qualifying actions with respect to your questions, app, answer or review, as applicable, during a Competition Period. Points are accrued or lost in each Competition as follows:
Gain 15 Points for each up vote by another user on a question, answer or comment you post, up to 200 points/day (“Tie Breaker #1”).
Lose 5 Points for each down vote by another user on a question, answer or comment you posted (even if posted prior to the applicable Competition Period).
Lose 1 Point if you down vote someone's question, answer or comment (even if the down voted content was posted prior to the applicable Competition Period).
Gain 20 Points if one of your answers is accepted by the asker or a community moderator (even if the answer was posted prior to the applicable Competition Period) (“Tie Breaker #2”).
- Gain 2 Points if you accept an answer someone posted to your question (even if the question was posted prior to the applicable Competition Period).
Questions, answers, votes, posts and ratings all must comply with Sponsor's frequently asked questions document at: https://answers.splunk.com/faq/ or they will not earn Points.
All participants are prohibited from conducting their own publicity campaign or promotions in connection with this Contest. Participants are also prohibited from obtaining votes or Points by any fraudulent or inappropriate means, including, without limitation, offering prizes or other inducements to other members or coordinating with another member in any way to gain Points or cause another user to lose Points, as determined by the Sponsor in its sole discretion. Use of these techniques, or of any script, macro, or other automated or artificial system to vote or obtain Points, or with the intent or effect of impairing the integrity of the Points process, is prohibited and all such Points will, upon discovery by the Sponsor, in Sponsor's sole discretion, be deemed null and void and may lead to the disqualification of the applicable participant or cancellation or modification of the Contest.
3. ELIGIBILITY: The Contest is open only to legal residents of any one (1) of the fifty (50) United States or the District of Columbia, (but not Puerto Rico or any other U.S. territory, possession, or overseas military installation), Austria, Australia, Canada (excluding Quebec), Finland, France, Germany, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Korea, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Philippines, Russia, Singapore, South Africa, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Thailand, or the United Kingdom (also referred to in these Official Rules as the “Territories”) who are at least 18 and the age of majority in their jurisdiction of primary residence. The Contest is not open outside of the Territories or to any person to whom Sponsor would otherwise be prohibited from awarding a prize by applicable U.S. export controls and sanctions or other law. Participants must be allowed to participate in and win the Contest under any and all internal policies of individual Participant’s employer(s). Employees, officers, directors, members, managers, agents, and representatives and family members of such individuals (or people living in the same household whether related or not) of Sponsor or their respective corporate partners, parent companies, divisions, subsidiaries, affiliates, successors in interest and advertising, promotion, and public relations agencies, as well as any other entity participating in the design, administration, or fulfillment of the Contest (collectively, the “Released Parties”) are not eligible to win. For purposes of this Contest, “family member” is defined as any spouse, domestic partner, parent, legal guardian, sibling, child, legal ward, grandparent, grandchild, or the spouse or domestic partner of any such person. This Contest is void where prohibited by law.
4. WINNER SELECTION & NOTIFICATION: There will be one (1) winner in each Competition. The person with the most Points at the end of each Competition Period will be the winner, subject to Sponsor's tie breaking procedures (if applicable) and verification procedures. In the event of a tie, the tie will be broken by comparing the tied participants' Points during the applicable Competition Period in the Tie Breaker #1 category (defined above) and the participant with the higher Point total in that category will be deemed the potential winner. If there is still a tie, the tie will be broken by comparing the tied participants' Points during the applicable Competition Period in the Tie Breaker #2 category and the participant with the higher Point total in that category will be deemed the potential winner. There is a limit of one (1) prize per Splunk Community member for the entire Contest Period. Sponsor will attempt to notify the potential winner using the contact information in his or her Splunk Community account within approximately one (1) week of the end of the applicable Competition that he or she may have won the prize in this Contest. Winners may be required to complete, sign, have notarized (if applicable) and return, without alteration and in the form presented by Sponsor, an affidavit of eligibility and liability/publicity release (unless prohibited by law) and tax forms (if applicable) by the date specified in Sponsor’s notification or the prize may be forfeited. In the event of noncompliance with these requirements, the prize may be forfeited and awarded to an alternate winner (time permitting and in Sponsor's sole discretion). The affidavit of eligibility and liability/publicity release are subject to verification by Sponsor. If any prize notification or Contest-related communication is rejected, faulty or returned as undeliverable, if the winner cannot attend or participate in any portion of the prize, if the winner has already obtained a free pass to Splunk’s .conf20 Worldwide Users’ Conference through other means, or if the winner cannot be reached after a reasonable attempt has been made by Sponsor or does not respond according to the notification's or Sponsor's instructions (as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion), that winner may be disqualified and an alternate winner may be contacted. Sponsor will not be obligated to pursue more than three (3) alternate winners for any reason, in which case some prizes may go unawarded. Sponsor reserves the right to modify the notification procedures in connection with the selection of any alternate potential winner, if any.
5. PRIZE: Each winner will receive one (1) free pass to Splunk's .conf20 Worldwide Users’ Conference (which takes place from October 19, 2020 to October 22, 2020), plus up to USD $1,000 to help defray taxes applicable to receipt of the prize. Winners who live in jurisdictions where such taxes are not applicable will not receive that portion of the prize. Approximate retail value ("ARV") of the conference prize is USD $1895 (plus the possible USD $1000 towards applicable taxes). Travel and transportation to and from .conf20 conference and accommodations are not included. Splunk University fees are also not included. If a winner has already registered and paid for the conference, Sponsor will reimburse the conference fee actually paid, not any Splunk University or travel-related fees. Sponsor makes no representation or warranty that the amount of money provided to help defray taxes will cover all such taxes, all of which is the responsibility of the winner.
Participants waive the right to assert as a cost of winning any prize, any and all costs of verification and redemption or travel to claim the prize and any liability and publicity which might arise from claiming or seeking to claim said prize. All prize details not specified in these Official Rules will be determined in Sponsor's sole discretion. If legitimately claimed, the prize will be awarded. All taxes (if applicable in your jurisdiction) and other expenses not specified in these Official Rules as being covered as part of the prize are the sole responsibility of each winner. Sponsor will not replace any lost, mutilated or stolen prize or any prize that is undeliverable or does not reach a winner because of an incorrect or changed address or other contact information. No transfers, prize substitutions or cash redemptions will be made, except at Sponsor's sole discretion. Sponsor reserves the right to substitute the stated prize or portion thereof with another prize or portion thereof of equal or greater value for any reason, including, without limitation, prize unavailability. No more than the stated prize will be awarded. Winners are strictly prohibited from selling, auctioning, trading or otherwise transferring any part of the prize.
6. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY. NOTHING IN THESE OFFICIAL RULES LIMITS, EXCLUDES OR MODIFIES OR PURPORTS TO LIMIT, EXCLUDE OR MODIFY ANY STATUTORY CONSUMER GUARANTEES OR ANY IMPLIED CONDITION OR WARRANTY THE EXCLUSION OF WHICH FROM THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS WOULD CONTRAVENE ANY STATUTE OR CAUSE ANY PART OF THESE OFFICIAL RULES TO BE VOID ("NON-EXCLUDABLE GUARANTEES"). SUBJECT TO THE LIMITATIONS IN THE PRECEDING SENTENCE, THE SPONSOR EXCLUDES FROM THESE OFFICIAL RULES ALL CONDITIONS, WARRANTIES AND TERMS IMPLIED BY STATUTE, GENERAL LAW OR CUSTOM EXCEPT FOR LIABILITY IN RELATION TO A NON EXCLUDABLE GUARANTEE. SUBJECT TO ANY NON-EXCLUDABLE GUARANTEES, EACH PARTICIPANT AGREES TO RELEASE, HOLD HARMLESS AND INDEMNIFY THE SPONSOR AND ITS PARENT, DIVISIONS, SUBSIDIARIES, AFFILIATES, AND ADVERTISING, PROMOTION AND PUBLIC RELATIONS AGENCIES, AND THE RESPECTIVE OFFICERS, DIRECTORS, MEMBERS, MANAGERS, EMPLOYEES, REPRESENTATIVES AND AGENTS OF EACH. FOR ANY LIABILITY WHATSOEVER FOR INJURIES OR DAMAGES OF ANY KIND SUSTAINED IN CONNECTION WITH THE USE, ACCEPTANCE, POSSESSION, MISUSE OR AWARDING OF THE PRIZE, WHILE PREPARING FOR, PARTICIPATING IN AND/OR TRAVELING TO OR FROM ANY PRIZE- OR CONTEST-RELATED ACTIVITY, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, ANY INJURY, DAMAGE, DEATH, LOSS, OR ACCIDENT TO PERSON OR PROPERTY (HOWEVER, FOR UK, SWISS AND GERMAN RESIDENTS ONLY, THIS RELEASE, HOLD HARMLESS AND INDEMNIFICATION COMMITMENT DOES NOT APPLY TO CASES OF BODILY INJURY OR LOSS OF LIFE OR TO THE EXTENT THAT ANY DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY IS CAUSED BY THE NEGLIGENCE OF SPONSOR OR OTHER THIRD PARTY, WHERE LIABILITY TO THE INJURED PARTY CANNOT BE EXCLUDED BY LAW). EACH WINNER AGREES THAT THE PRIZE IS PROVIDED AS-IS WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY, REPRESENTATION OR GUARANTEE, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, IN FACT OR IN LAW, WHETHER NOW KNOWN OR HEREINAFTER ENACTED, RELATIVE TO THE USE OR ENJOYMENT OF THE PRIZE, BEYOND ANY NON-EXCLUDABLE GUARANTEES. FURTHERMORE, THE RELEASED PARTIES ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE IN ANY WAY FOR ANY ADDITIONAL EXPENSES, OMISSIONS, DELAYS, OR RE-ROUTING RESULTING FROM ANY ACTS OF ANY GOVERNMENT OR AUTHORITY.
7. ADDITIONAL DISCLAIMERS: To the extent permitted by the mandatory provisions of applicable law, Released Parties are not responsible and/or liable for any of the following, whether caused by a Released Party, the participant or by human error (however, for UK residents only, except to the extent that any of the following occur for reasons within Sponsor's reasonable control, where liability to the injured party cannot be excluded by law): Points earned by illegitimate means (such as, without limitation, by an automated computer program) or Points earned in excess of any stated limits; any lost, late, incomplete, illegible, mutilated, or misdirected e-mail, mail, or Contest-related correspondence or materials; any error, omission, interruption, defect, or delay in transmission or communication; viruses or technical or mechanical malfunctions; interrupted or unavailable cable or satellite systems; errors, typos or misprints in these Official Rules, in any Contest-related advertisements or other materials; failures of electronic equipment, computer hardware or software; lost or unavailable network connections, or failed, incorrect, incomplete, inaccurate, garbled or delayed electronic communications or entry information; inaccurate capture or calculation of votes or Points. Released Parties are not responsible for electronic communications that are undeliverable as a result of any form of active or passive filtering of any kind, or insufficient space in participant's e-mail account to receive e-mail messages. Released Parties are not responsible, and may disqualify a participant, if his or her e-mail address, telephone, or other contact information does not work or is changed without participant giving prior written notice to Sponsor. Released Parties are not responsible for any changes or unavailability of the Web Site that may interfere with the Contest or ability of the participant to timely participate, receive notices or communicate with Sponsor, in which case Sponsor, in its sole discretion, may terminate or modify the Contest. Without limiting any other provision in these Official Rules, Released Parties are not responsible, or liable to any participant or winner or any person claiming through such participant or winner, for failure to supply the prize or any part thereof in the event that any of the Contest activities or the Released Parties' operations or activities are affected, as determined by the Sponsor in its sole discretion, including, without limitation, by reason of any acts of God, any action, regulation, order or request by any governmental or quasi- governmental entity (whether or not the action, regulations, order or request proves to be invalid), equipment failure, threatened terrorist acts, terrorist acts, air raid, blackout, act of public enemy, earthquake, war (declared or undeclared), fire, flood, epidemic, explosion, unusually severe weather, hurricane, embargo, labor dispute or strike (whether legal or illegal), labor or material shortage, transportation interruption of any kind, work slow-down, civil disturbance, insurrection, riot, or any law, rule, regulation, order or other action adopted or taken by any governmental, federal, state, provincial or local government authority, or any other cause, whether or not specifically mentioned above.
8. GENERAL RULES: By entering the Contest (except where prohibited by law), each participant grants the Released Parties the irrevocable, sublicensable, free of charge, absolute right and permission to use, publish, post or display his or her name, photograph, likeness, voice, prize information, biographical information, any quotes attributable to him or her and any other indicia of persona (regardless of whether altered, changed, modified, edited, used alone, or used with other material in the Released Parties' sole discretion) for advertising, trade, promotional and publicity purposes without further obligation or compensation of any kind to him or her, anywhere, in any medium now known or hereafter discovered or devised (including, without limitation, on the Internet), world-wide, without any limitation of time and without notice, review or approval and each participant releases all Released Parties from any and all liability related to such authorized uses. Nothing contained in these Official Rules obligates the Sponsor to make use of any of the rights granted herein and each winner waives any right to inspect or approve any such use.
The Sponsor's decisions will be final in all matters relating to this Contest, including interpretation of these Official Rules, calculation of Points and awarding of the prizes. All participants, as a condition of entry, agree to be bound by these Official Rules and the decisions of the Sponsor. Failure to comply with these Official Rules may result in disqualification from this Contest. Participants further agree to not damage or cause interruption of the Contest and/or prevent others from participating in the Contest. The Sponsor reserves the right to restrict or void Points or participation from any IP address if any suspicious entry and/or participation is detected. The Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to void Points of any participants who the Sponsor believes have attempted to tamper with or impair the administration, security, fairness or proper play of this Contest. The Sponsor's failure to or decision not to enforce any provision in these Official Rules will not constitute a waiver of that or any other provision. In the event there is an alleged or actual ambiguity, discrepancy or inconsistency between disclosures or other statements contained in any Contest-related materials and/or these Official Rules (including any alleged discrepancy or inconsistency in these Official Rules), it will be resolved in the Sponsor's sole discretion. Participants waive any right to claim ambiguity in the Contest or these Official Rules. If the Sponsor determines at any time in its sole discretion that a winner or potential winner is disqualified, ineligible, in violation of these Official Rules, or engaging in behavior that the Sponsor deems obnoxious, inappropriate, threatening, illegal or that is intended to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other person, the Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify that winner or potential winner, even if the disqualified winner or potential winner may have been notified or displayed or announced anywhere. The invalidity or unenforceability of any provision of these Official Rules will not affect the validity or enforceability of any other provision. In the event that any provision is determined to be invalid or otherwise unenforceable or illegal, these Official Rules will otherwise remain in effect and will be construed in accordance with their terms as if the invalid or illegal provision were not contained herein. If the Contest is not capable of running as planned for any reason, the Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to cancel, modify or suspend the Contest and award the prizes based on Points accrued (if any) prior to cancellation, modification, or suspension or as otherwise deemed fair and appropriate by Sponsor. If any person supplies false information, obtains Points by fraudulent means or is otherwise determined to be in violation of these Official Rules in an attempt to obtain any prize, Sponsor may disqualify that person and seek damages from him or her and that person may be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. In the event of a dispute concerning who participated, the participant will be declared to be the person who is the registered account holder of the e-mail address for the winning Splunk Community account, but only if that person meets all other eligibility criteria. A registered account holder is defined as the natural person who is assigned to an e-mail address by an Internet access provider, online service provider, or other organization (e.g. business, educational institution, etc.) that is responsible for assigning e-mail addresses for the domain associated with the submitted e-mail address. The potential winner may be required to provide Sponsor with proof that he/she is the registered account holder of the e-mail address associated with the potentially winning entry. If a dispute cannot be resolved to Sponsor's satisfaction, the entry will be deemed ineligible. CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT TO DAMAGE ANY ONLINE SERVICE OR WEB SITE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATIONS OF THE CONTEST VIOLATES CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS. IF SUCH AN ATTEMPT IS MADE, SPONSOR MAY DISQUALIFY ANY PARTICIPANT MAKING SUCH ATTEMPT AND MAY SEEK DAMAGES TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.
10. DISPUTES/GOVERNING LAW. Except where prohibited, as a condition of participating in this Contest, each participant agrees that any and all disputes that cannot be resolved between the participant and any Released Party or claims and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Contest, the prize awarded, or the determination of the winners must be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action. Further, in any such dispute, under no circumstances will a participant be permitted or entitled to obtain awards for, and hereby waives all rights to claim, punitive, incidental or consequential damages, or any other damages, including attorneys' fees, other than participant's actual out-pocket expenses (if any), not to exceed ten dollars ($10 USD), and participant further waives all rights to have damages multiplied or increased.
This Contest and any dispute arising under or related thereto (whether for breach of contract, tortious conduct or otherwise) will be governed by the internal laws of the State of California, without giving effect to its conflicts of law or choice of law principles or rules that would cause the application of any other state's/province's/federal laws. Any legal actions, suits or proceedings related to this Contest (whether for breach of contract, tortious conduct or otherwise) will be brought exclusively in the state or federal courts located in San Francisco County, San Francisco, California, and each participant accepts and submits to the personal jurisdiction of those courts with respect to any legal actions, suits or proceedings arising out of or related to this Contest.
11. WINNER'S LIST/OFFICIAL RULES. To find out who won, send a legal-size, self-addressed, stamped envelope to: The Where Will Your Karma Take You Contest Winners, c/o Splunk Community, 270 Brannan Street, San Francisco, CA 94107 or email@example.com. Requests must be received no later than three (3) months following the end of the applicable Contest Period. For a copy of these Official Rules, print out these pages or send a legal-size (DL or A5 for UK residents), self-addressed, stamped envelope to: The Where Will Your Karma Take You Contest Official Rules, c/o Splunk Community, 270 Brannan Street, San Francisco, CA 94107 prior to the end of the Contest Period. Only one (1) request of either type per outer envelope, mailed separately, will be fulfilled. Vermont residents may omit return postage with Official Rules requests. Canadian residents may omit return postage with Winners List and Official Rules requests.
12. THE SPONSOR OF THIS CONTEST IS: Splunk Inc., 270 Brannan Street, San Francisco, CA 94107. In case of complaints or disputes send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and you will receive an answer or a decision within 14 business days.
*******END OF OFFICIAL RULES*******